About Me

My photo
Luray, Virginia
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Faith Like A Child

A few months ago, I was driving the kids home from a literacy night at their school. Kadence started asking me all kinds of questions from the back seat. "Mommy, what are stars made of? How far away are they? How were they created? How big is the Universe? How did God create The universe?". Heavy stuff. I tried to answer her questions, and as we discussed the intricate design of our planet, the solar system we are a part of and the complexity of space and time, she got very quiet. I looked back at her through my rear view mirror to see if I had bored her to sleep. But, she was just looking at me with a very serious expression. She said, "Mommy, I want you to tell me how to get to Heaven". At first, I was taken back and didn't know what to do. But, as I began to talk to her about God's love, our sinful human condition, and the saving grace of a God who sent his only son to save a dying world, I began to feel something. Something powerful. Something overwhelming. I was in the presence of God. And in that moment, my own doubts were obliterated. My divided heart was made whole. And I knew the words I was saying were absolute truth. Kadence asked Jesus into her heart that night. She knew all of the bible stories, and had been learning about all of these truths for years. God had been preparing her heart for the moment she decided to let him in. And it was a decision only she could make for herself. On that night, she acknowledged her sin and her desperate need for a savior. She asked for forgiveness of her sin, and invited the Lord into her life. And that's how simple and powerful the message of Jesus is. It took seeing it through the eyes of my 7 year old, for me to realize how incomplete my own faith had become. I have tried to reason my way to God, and scientifically explain his existence, but all along what I needed to find was simple. Faith like a child.

"He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."                             ~Mark 10:14,15

Kadence was baptised yesterday. In our church, a father has the option to baptize their child as the spiritual leader of their house. My heart was so full, watching as Kadence, in the arms of her Daddy made a public proclamation of her faith. She knows, that there is nothing magical about that water. She knows that the water has no power to heal or save you. She knows, that her salvation is in Jesus Christ. I know her faith will be challenged in the years to come and I know all too well, that the world will try to steal and divide her heart. But, my prayer for her is that she will always come back to the child like faith that saved her. And the powerful truth that God is love and Jesus saves.


4 comments:

  1. So beautiful.....as it should be with her daddy holding her.
    I am crying and filled with joy!
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So precious Minnie!!! She was so excited yesterday morning that she was telling everyone she was getting baptized! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so glad I didn't miss it! And I love the way that you described it above... amazing love in the simplest form! ;-) lisa

    ReplyDelete